Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Smokey Ocean in pastel colors.

Summer is closing on us fast, here in my part of the world. And the change in weather is always a huge inspiration to me, when I craft. One of the things I am really looking forward to, is spending time at the beach with my family. And I guess that really shows in todays project.


I used Ching Chou Kuik's beautiful Smokey Ocean, colored with my all-time favorite medium, Copics. I decided to try and use as few as possible, to keep the image a bit more soft and bright, with not to many shadows. And to simply challenge myself. These are the Copics I used:

Skin: E0000, E01
Blue/greens: G40, G43, G24, B0000, B41, B32
Hair: B0000, B41, B32, B34
Sand: E30, E31, E34


The background is colored with distress ink, watered down and painted on like watercolors. And I added some fine trasnparent glitter to all the green parts of the mermaid. It's very subtle, but I love how it just adds that little something extra.


I used papers from various manufactorers, and the seaweed diecuts were some I've been having lying around for years. I just never found a project they would fit on. But I do so love, when I can use some of my old stash.


To make it even more sea and beach like, I found one of the tiny Tim Holtz bottles, quickly drew a treasure map on a tiny piece of paper, inked the edges so it looked worn, and tucked it inside the bottle. Then I found a few pearsl I had lying around and scattered them on the bottom half of the card. Together with the cheesecloth and string I really think it adds to that beachy/ocean feel.


As a little added detail, I punched out a heart from the white cardstock, meant to write your greeting on, on the inside of the card. Otherwise I kept the inside fairly simpel.

The stamp I used today, from the Sweet Pea Stamp store,  is Ching Chou Kuiks Smokey Ocean and you can get that in Digi and in Rubber.

Thanks so much for stopping by today
/Lina

11 comments:

  1. Love the colors on this and I love the little bottle too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the way this turned out! Your coloring is wonnderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the way this turned out! Your coloring is wonnderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing little piece of art Lina! Love all the soft colors and your embellishments are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lina, this is stunning, love the little bottle, your work always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the softness, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely card, Lina!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card and your image is beautiful. Love the inside of the card too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOO LIna, this is gorgeous, love all the elements especially that adorable message in a bottle and your cheese cloths adds so much movement to your beautiful creation hun :) :) :) Hugs Jane xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I love the bottle and how you've colored The mermaid. Her tail is awsome! Hugs Milo <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh love this summer card. Great job

    ReplyDelete