Monday, March 7, 2011

A Little Mermaid Tutorial Surprise.

Stamp: Elaine Cox's Little Seahorses Mermaid

Hello everyone!! Wow, it feels like ages since I've posted. I've missed everyone! And, now I'm back and loving all the new artists and team members! Such amazing talent.
Since I haven't done one in so very long, I decided I would have a surprise mini tutorial for you today with one of my all time favs by Elaine Cox....

Cardstock: Neenah Classic Crest Natural White
Copic Markers: listed
{click on photos for a larger view}

For the little flowers I used a teeny bit of BV02 & V05 in the very center and then went over it with the Colorless Blender to have them bleed out slightly to give them a soft watercolor appearance.

I used small little horizontal strokes with E35 to give the Seahorse some patterns.

G20 Wax White, is one of my favs. It brightens up your greens without being too bright or too washed out.

E50, E51 and E42 continue to be my fav fast skin combo.

Too keep things from being to flat, I like to use shadows like E71 blended out with E70. You can see where I used this technique on her hair where it frames the back of her head. And for around her eyes I used BV02 blended out with BV000. The key with this is to have a very light hand. For her eyes I used E30 and E33. Leave some of the E30 showing for highlight.

I added a touch of E35 at the very top of her irises...where they meet the top of her eyelid. This gives them more depth.

For my finished card I added some Lemon Ice Stickles to some random strands of her hair. The background is colored in with a light wash of G20 and I outlined her with E71 so that she didn't blend into the background too much.

Thanks for stopping by!! Please let me now if you have any questions.

18 comments:

  1. Love any Little Mermaids!! This one is adorable too) Nice colouring)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the great lesson on Copic coloring Randi! Your talent with this is awesome and I need all the help on that I can get.
    I also love your bow.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randi, she is precious. I love Elaine Cox's youthful looking mermaids and you did an awesome job on this tutorial. Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial Randi... It is so good to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is great to have so many different Copics, then any image is coloured all right) Thanks for lesson)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card and awesome tutorial Randi! Great to hear and see from you again! Hope to see more soon! Have a great week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful tutorial Randi. I really enjoy seeing how differently people do things. I also know that I do not have the light touch you do. My gal would end up looking like she has a black eye, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Randi, nice to meet you! I'm looking very much forward seeing more of your gorgeous creations. This card looks so great. Your colouring is awesome. Love how you coloured her hair in different colours. Thank you for the tutorial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful coloring - thanks for the tutorial, I always wonder and wish I knew how you created such fantastic works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab tutorial. I want to get copics through the internet, but it's hard to know exactly which colours to choose. This was a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome tutorial and I sooooo love that G000 & YG95 combo. Well, actually I like just about any combo that I can work out, lol.

    Great card and love that seam binding. Welcome back Randi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the wonderful information. I just LOVE the info you showed for the amazing skin coloring. The card turned out wonderful. You are gonna turn us all into followers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous! i was just thinking about you and wondering where you've been hiding! i just love seeing your coloring style and love the tutorial. that's a new skin combo i've never tried, gonna have to give it a go since it is just beautiful! i just ordered my first sweetpea stamps after being entranced by them for so long on your blog! can't wait to color 'em up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I look at her I remember why your artwork made me fall in love with these stamps.

    Thanks,
    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah ladies! I could not have asked for a more amazing welcome back! Thank you so much for all of your wonderful comments! It means so much to me!! I've missed you all! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful! Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welocome back Randi, so glad to see you back here. We have missed you and your talent. I too love this image and your coloring and tutorial is awesome. Can't wait to see your next creation.
    Hugs:)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh Randi, this is amazing. What an awesome tutorial. You are one truly talented lady.

    Renee x
    PS Welcome back

    ReplyDelete