Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas will soon be here...

This is a tag ornament made using one of the adorable elf images by Elaine Cox on plate #71. I think I said it before, but I just love these little guys!


This ornament was made using some thin cardboard, a 3", 2.5" & 2" circle punch, printed papers, manilla cardstock, copics, stickles, Krylon gold paint pen, Zip Dry adhesive, gold ribbon, and crystal lacquer.

To start, punch 3 - 3" circles from the cardboard - I used the stuff a many places will line shirts or collage sheets with to keep them stiff. Apply a layer of glue to one and stack on top of another, repeat with the remaining circle. Punch 2 - 3" circles from your base paper and adhere one to each side of the cardboard disc. At this time, punch your hanging hole (I use a crop-a-dile) and add a 10" gold ribbon for a hanger. Punch a 2.5" circle from a complementary paper, center and adhere to one side of the ornament.

Punch a 2" circle from the manilla cardstock, stamp the image and color with copics. Adhere the image to the center of the ornament. Working around the edge of the manilla cardstock center, frame with gold stickles. Place your ornament on a flat, out of the way surface and add a layer of crystal lacquer within the stickle frame. Allow to dry about 2 hours.

After the lacquer has had time to set, cover the entire ornament front with a layer of lacquer - you will want to cover the existing lacquer also. This gives the ornament a bit more dimension. Allow to dry completely - at least 24 hours, possibly more if it is humid.

Edge the entire ornament with the gold paint pen. Leaving the back of the ornament empty you can add bit of manilla cardstock with your name & the year and you have a sweet little tag you can place on a package that will last many years - enjoy sharing!

 

Keeping up the Christmas spirit, I wanted to share this card with you today. The image is from ching-chou kuik's Fantasy Art Collection - titled Holly Fairy, it can be found on Plate #60. She was colored with copics, the papers are American Craft, the holly leaves and rhinestone are from Prima. I added a bit of crystal lacquer to each of the holly berries for a bit of shine.

8 comments:

  1. My gosh that ornament is just magnificent!! I wish I had time to make a few. I will keep the idea in the back of my head for next year!!!

    Your card is also lovely!!! I adore the DP you have chose!!

    Cheers!

    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  2. your ornament is adorable. This image is perfect for it. This would look so nice on a tree. Your coloring on poth items is beautifully done. Great work Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love the ornament! The layering up you did is great, I may give that a GO. The card is beautiful. The holly on the side is a wonderful accent to the image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Jennifer! The ornament is beautiful and your card is amazing. I love the holly leaves you added.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that adorable little ornament. What a cute idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jennifer tht ornament is adorable and my little girl would love to make some of these with me. That is if I could ever find more time, but she would want to wear it as a necklace.lol Great job on your card too, love the added holly leaves.
    Hugs:)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous ornament! Thanks for the instructions, too! You card is also lovely! :-)Traci

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant pendant. It looks like enamel which I'm absolutely in love with. Stunning, I'm lost for words :) (and don't remind me Christmas is almost here , eeeek)

    ReplyDelete